Sunday, August 16, 2009

Understand

For a long time I was puzzled as to how any human being, even a disciple of Christ, could say that they "understand God"
After all, God is infinite, eternal - beyond our puny capacities in every way.
And yet He says:
"Let him who glories, glory in this,
That he understands and knows Me."

What was I missing?
Bruce Wilkinson came to my rescue a while back: he said something like this -
"We need never misunderstand God"
Wow!
The lights came on for me then. . .
It explains the last part of the verse too

As parents, we can relate in a tiny way
How awful it feels when our children misunderstand what we do; when they attribute mean and unkind motives to the things we do out of love and concern for them.

Whether we understand what He is doing all the time or not
Let us never misunderstand Him
He is always good
Always just
Always gracious

3 comments:

Kate said...

I think if we could ever understand God, he wouldn't be God.

I don't think the created are ever supposed to understand their creator.

People often have so many "why" questions when it comes to the bible and creation and God, and if Christians could answer them all, it would lessen God in man's eyes -or that is my opinion of it.

I am happy not to understand God - if I could, I would be worried!

You are so right, all we can aim for is to not misunderstand Him. I like it!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Yup...I am with Kate on that. His ways are not like ours and His thoughts not like ours.

I am happy just to be in relationship with Him and not misunderstand how much He loves me.

Terry said...

Isaiah;55:8-9
(For my thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,says the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts higher than your thoughts.)

I don't think anyone can say they understand God. We can get to know God through reading His Word. All I know is that God loves me and wants the best for me.

Have a great day!