Friday, April 30, 2010

Guilt and Freedom

The Artist's Way book is going to bring up some really meaty things to process on this blog as I go along.
I can tell already.
After just 13 days of writing the 3 pages every morning (see Allie Chilling for more details) things are starting to emerge.

For example, one day I noted that I felt guilty about something: then I began to list randomly things I felt guilty about.
To my amazement, a seemingly endless stream spewed out of my pen
I had no idea that I carried so much guilt about so many things!

Guilt about keeping sufficient contact with friends; about things left undone; about procrastination; about not being a good parent/grandparent/wife; about not exercising properly; about lack of faithfulness in praying; about not liking to cook. . .
Just on and on.

And I had been oblivious to this.
And even more bizarre is that this is going on unrecognised in the mind of a Christ-follower!
We, who have set free in Christ, should of all people, be free of guilt.
Not because we get everything right, but because Jesus did.
Then took the Fall for us.

Now that I recognise where these accusing comments are coming from, the potency of the attack is lost.
I can dismiss them and move out into the freedom that has been provided for me at such cost.

Yay!

No comments: