Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Known

I watched TCM last night - an Elvis documentary made in 1970.
I suppose you could say he was my idol in those days
That has a bad connotation in Christianland but really, in my pre-Christ- following days, what did I know about that?
All I knew was that I loved Elvis's music and his ways; admired everything about him; wanted to know everything about him too.

I watched the screaming girls in the video; how they looked at him; how they clamoured to touch him; even kissed him.
Well meaning adults, at that time, were worried about the moral implications - maybe rightly so . . .
But I remember that the overwhelming desire was not sexual
It was wanting to be known by him.
We all knew all the facts about him, words to his songs, likes and dislikes, history etc
Heck, most of us had scrapbooks bulging with photos and data!

But my fantasy was that he, arriving at our town, would know me, call me out, want to be with me.
Out of the crowd, I would be known by him and chosen by him.

Now that "idolatry" thing of the past has become a vivid teaching for me
It is good to know all about Christ Jesus
It shows choice and desire and intent to search the scriptures - to want to find out about His life story, read His words and see His actions.
But that is only a step towards knowing Him.

And, once that has happened, marvel of all marvels - the realisation comes that He knows me
He knows me
He has chosen me out of the crowd, called me by my name.
Not just: "You in the pink shirt"
But "Alison, My Alison"
"Come to Me"
"Stay with Me"
"I have always loved you"

Can there be such joy!

8 comments:

Mel said...

Wow,you have such a gift for taking the everyday and correlating it to such profound spiritual truths. I am so enjoying unpacking these nuggets and sharing the analogies with the kids.

allie. said...

I think this may be the "link" between my two blogs, Mel, and why I need to keep them two.

God has for so long used this way of teaching me things about Himself and about following Him that it's as natural as breathing to me now.

Like two sides of the coin - "first the natural, then the spiritual" as He says.

But we shall see - can never put Him into a pattern, can we? :-)

allie. said...

And really glad you find things that you can share with your three!

jacki janse van rensburg said...

wow! thanks for that.

i think i might just like this blog a little more that the other one. not that i'm going to choose, they are both in my google reader.

last year i did an easter 'egg' hunt on my blog, like a little blog hop. if i get round to doing it again, i would like to link to your easter egg hunt post. ok?

allie. said...

Jackie, thanks for making me think about it in the first place.
And ok for whatever it is you want to do with the Easter thing: I am sooo ignorant about these terms its almost sinful.

By the way, maybe you could take pity on me and email me with some info about what blog networking is all about.
I see it on FB but have no clue what or how

So glad you're enjoying my space!

Terry said...

Hi Allie
Such a true statement today about God knowing us from the very beginning of the foundations of the world.
Jeremiah; 1:5 (Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you: I ordained you a prophet to the nations.)
God's knowledge and calling of Jeremiah began even before Jeremiah was conceived. In God's foreknowledge, He knows and calls us too. From the very conception of life God knows us.

Have a great day Allie!!!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Allie, I love this post...I still marvel at the greatness of God and that He loves me so much...and knows me personally...inside and out.

Shayne said...

I just love your writings on this blog Allie. You write so simply but profoundly about God and his role in our lives.

thank you.