Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ah NO!

My last post was about the realisation of my slide away from intentional prayer times.
The kind that you need time for - not the dashed off ones
(Although, far be it from me to suggest that these are not heard.
I have FAR too much evidence that they are.)
I was happy that the realisation didn't come as a 'call to duty' but rather as an invitation.

Confession time.
In the intervening time, nothing very much has changed.
Even when perfect times presented themselves, I have dragged my feet like a reluctant toddler.
I have picked up a TV remote, a magazine, or stared out of the window
WHY?
Why do I do that?
When I get into praying, I love it and the time passes like liquid diamonds
And yet
There is this resistance.
I plan to push through it - but I need lots of grace -
if you think of me when you are praying,
I sure could use some prayer back-up

6 comments:

Lynette Jacobs said...

Oh Allie, you are not the only one. If I think about our early days in ministry and how I constantly sat at the feet of my saviour! Now I have to drag myself there...why are we constantly at war against this body that wants gratification all the time?

I think we need to pray for each other.

allie. said...

Its a mystery to me - but Jesus (parable of the sower) did warn us that the pleasures of this world could seriously interfere with our fruitfulness.
Sometimes something specific, like fasting, is the only thing that cuts across the slide.

And we should factor in how much the enemy fears the saints praying.

You're on - I am depending (even more now) on God to mould me into an eager prayer; I will depend on Him also to remind me of you when I do, fellow -
journey-er
:-)

Avril said...

I know that feeling only too well-wanting to spend time praying but letting the 'busyness' of life get in the way!You are already in my daily prayers my friend and hopefully I'll be in yours.We all need it so much.lol A

allie. said...

Its odd the way we are encouraged when we know others wrestle with the same stuff we do, isn't it?

Bo (Avril) - how lovely to know you pray for me!
Thank you.
And like Lynette - you're on. . .
Let's see what God can do with vessels like us :-)

Joel Brueseke said...

This has been an issue in my life, on and off, as well. Let's not get down on ourselves though. Our devotion to Him comes from knowing His devotion to us. If we try too hard to be devoted in prayer, we may miss the point entirely. =D

Praying for you from the other side of the world. :)

allie. said...

Spot on, Joel.
We shouldn't get all condemned but its good to face the issue so we can take it to Him, for His power to work in us "to will and (also) to DO" the thing laid on our hearts.

Thanks for your prayers for us, my over-the-seas friend. :-)