Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Betrayal

Is there anything like betrayal by a close friend?
Especially one who knows the Lord?
It cuts through to the deepest place because you have entrusted your true self to them.
This is how the word speaks of the heartbreak of it:
"For it is not an enemy who reproaches me;
Then I could bear it.
Nor it is one who hates me; who has exalted himself against me;
Then I could hide from him.
But it was you, a man my equal,
My companion and my acquaintance.
We took sweet counsel together,
And walked to the house of God in the throng."
Psa 55:12-14

Jesus, at the moment of betrayal by Judas, still called him "friend" and asked him: "Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?"
Matt 26:50 and Luke 22:46
He knows what the pain of it is like.

It can take a long time to get past the woundedness even if the willingness to forgive is there.
But God is a faithful Companion on the journey through the process and the safe arrival at wholeness will come.

3 comments:

Lynette Jacobs said...

Ai Allie, It is so wonderful to know that the Master had experienced everything we go through on this earth.

Betrayel usually comes from those closest... and you are so right it cuts like a knife. I know that I grieve for a long time afterward and then tend to build walls to protect myself from such hurt again in the future.

Mel said...

Betrayal would mean nothing if it didnt come from someone close and yeah, I know all about it....

Great post. Lots to stew over while I stew over the rest!!

Terry said...

God demonstrated His love for us in that when we betrayed Him by sinning against Him, He sent Jesus to die in our place. That is an example of true love.