Monday, June 15, 2009

Woundedness

Maybe we overlook the value of woundedness.
So much time and energy is spent trying to avoid anything that will cause us to suffer.
I'm beginning to think that people who have had a pain-free life might just be the selfish and hard hearted ones.
Not because they are horrible people but because personal suffering helps us to be more aware of the sufferings of others.
Helps us to be tender towards them . . .
I know that I can glibly do the "Oh shame, man" thing when I am a virgin in their particular area of pain - but then when the same thing happens to me, I blush to realise how little I actually felt for them at the time.

In my own cyber-village, I am witnessing some of those who have been deeply hurt in the past and have worked through it, together with those who are battling present emotional pains join hands to reach out to people suffering now.
Maybe we should view the difficulties of life differently; maybe we could pray differently while we are in the midst of them; maybe we could learn to see them from another perspective . . .

Maybe we could recognise that mysterious wisdom of God, working in our lives so that we too might be "broken bread and poured out wine"* for those struggling ones in our path
*With acknowledgements to Oswald Chambers: My Utmost for His Highest

4 comments:

Lynette Jacobs said...

I remember so vividly the first book I read on suffering called the Inward Journey by Gene Edwards. I just could not get into the book...only after we were involved in ministry and had our own personal suffering could I read it.

These words still jump out at me. "What kind of person can best endure suffering? Once suffeirng takes up residence, it seems none of us are qualified. Why? Suffering that comes from the hand of God seems to be so selected, so tailored for the one to whom it is sent. The thing you might shoulder the easiest may never come to you; but that one weakness you were never prepared for, that one hidden portion of your life you probably didn't even know about - there is where the blow will fall."

Brokenness is more dearly prized by the Lord than all of the greatness this world has ever seen. The only way anyone breaks is by having a great deal of pressure applied to him. There will be no meekness and compassion without disaster and loss. There will be no unselfishness without a mortal blow dealt to selfishness. There will be no humility until there is a total and irreparable loss of reputation. The Lord loves us to much to shield us from the uncomfortable.

Love you.

allie. said...

Thank you for a quite wonderful response, Lynette.
I love what you have had to say about brokenness and humility

I will be emailing you soon
xx

Anonymous said...

Oh Allie, you are so on the button. It's like riding a bike...you can't REALLY ride until you've had a wobble and nearly come-a-cropper and then wiggled and waggled and got it back under control.

Sort of like when a pastor says he won't marry anyone until they have had a real good argument and then pieced it all back together again.

Scars - gotta love 'em. LOL

Kate said...

Having found myself in the midst of some suffering lately, a verse I read at the time hit my heart like a fire arrow from heaven (hee, hee that sounded so super-christian-cheesy, but never the less that was its effect - lol)!

I don't believe God's wants us to suffer, or brings it upon us - its just a reality of an evil world. But, when it does hit us, if we cling to Jesus he SO turns it for the good!

The words of one of my most favouritest songs resound in my head in suffering times:

"You stay the same through the ages, your love never changes. There may be pain in the night, but Joy comes in the morning.

And when the oceans rage, I don't have to be afraid, because I know that you love me....and your love never fails..,for you make, all things, work together for my good..."
[Your love never fails: Jesus Culture]

Romans 5:2-5
And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.


xx