Monday, July 13, 2009

Open-Handed

I have sung songs;
prayed prayers;
made statements;
concerning surrender
Yielding fully to God was something I desired more than anything.
In part, I had "done it".
But, underneath was an awareness that there was a white-knuckled holding on - grimly, fearfully.
I didn't know what was holding on;
I didn't know what it was holding on to;
and I didn't know why it was holding on.
There was always this deep knowledge that the very thing I thought I wanted to do more than anything - to that very thing there was an inward resistence.


I have some answers, at last.
And like all the lies we believe, once they are exposed to the light, it is easy to see how ridiculous they are.
I realised that at some level, I had believed that if I fully yielded to God,
my life would become rushed, busy, noisy with lots of talk-talk, meetings, appointments, no quiet, no space, no solitude.
Everything that is hard for me.
So I held on to my loved life-style, in the same way a child who is offered a $1000 note clutches on to her shiny cent piece.
At that same level,
I had also believed that a fully surrendered life was too hard for me, too holy for me, too high for me.

That I would never be able to live it.
If we want truth, we look at Jesus.
He lived His earthly life totally surrendered to His Father.
His life didn't look anything like my imaginings.
In fact, the complete opposite.
And, about it being too hard?
Well, ja-hah!
ALL of the Christian life is too hard for us to live: we've only got to read The Sermon on the Mount to get that.
That's why He lives His life in us, through us -
To the degree we will allow Him to.


So now I say YES to Him
Now I can open the white knuckled grip.


I don't know how He is going to work it out in my life but I am just going to live
And watch what He does.
The great adventure rolls on . . .

3 comments:

Kate said...

Shew, that was written beautifully!

Looking forward to reading about what happens in this space!

So awesome, what you have revelation in. yay.

Lynette Jacobs said...

I love this blog! You are a true inspiration to me. When do we learn not to take back what we have surrendered to the Lord, when do we stop being so independant?

I love the way you share how God reveals Himself to you.

allie. said...

Thanks, you two.
It seems God is "showing His hand" (if you know what I mean) in so many wonderful ways right now.

Its a breathtaking time to be a Christ-follower, isn't it?